Saturday, September 15, 2012

Smothered Beef Burritos

I apologize for the instagram photo but after spending 15 minutes trying to photograph these burritos I learned that I just don't have a talent for food photography. But they still look yummy right?

Due to the fact our condo has a hard time cooling down on hot days I have been using my Crockpot like crazy since I don't have to heat up the whole house for a tastey meal. Many thanks to Pinterest for the zillion of Crockpot recipes they host! The Smothered Beef Burritos have been Justin's favorite so far (go figure), as well as mine, and are so easy to make! I followed the guidelines of this recipe, and then changed it up a bit to suit our likes.

Ingredients:
2 lbs of stew meat - our grocery store sells it already in chunks which makes it so much easier for shredding!
1 19-ounce can of red enchilada sauce - we personally love Rosarita's.
Salt & pepper - I don't measure how much exactly I use but if I had to guess it'd be around a 1/2 teaspoon for each.
Refried beans - we also use Rosarita's, and I get vegetarian-style so I know it isn't made with lard. A tip my cousin gave me long ago is to add a little milk to make them creamier. I add a little pepper in there, too!
4 burrito-sized tortillas
Shredded cheese
Optional: sour cream or guacamole

Directions:
1. Put beef chunks into Crockpot, cover with almost all of enchilada sauce (I reserve about an ounce for later.), add salt and pepper. Cook on high for 2-3 hours. The time really depends on your Crockpot; I've found that mine cooks way faster than all the recipes I've tried so I kind of just test it periodically.
2. When the beef is very tender and flaky, remove it from the Crockpot and shred it. I just use two forks and shred it that way cause it's easy and I'm not that fancy! Return the beef to the Crockpot.
3. Warm up the beans on the stove top. Add milk & pepper if you're cool!
4. Smear about two heaping spoonfuls of the beans onto a tortilla. Add two spoonfuls of the beef. I also add a little bit of cheese inside because we like things extra cheesy. Roll into a burrito.
5. Place the burrito(s) onto a greased 9x13 baking pan, cover with the reserved enchilada sauce and more cheese.
6. Broil the burritos for 3-4 minutes, until the cheese is all melted.

This recipe makes about 4 burritos. Which is perfect for us so Justin can have 2 and I can bring one for lunch the next day! I omitted the beef bullion cubes from the original recipe because I think they're just too salty and kind of gross. Salt and pepper works much better! Like I said it's super easy and for how delicious it is, I'm sure it will become a weekly staple in our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment