Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Things I Learned From My Mother

When you're younger it can seem as though your mother understands nothing. I can remember times when I'd flop onto my bed after arguing with her about how my need to go to an unsupervised party, huffing and puffing to myself 'she just doesn't get it'. Despite my best efforts at times to mess up my life, all the little things my mother instilled in me were guiding to be the best person I could be. In no particular order, some things I've never forgotten are...

If you don’t love it in the store, you won’t love it at home.

Always serve others at the table before yourself.

Invest the money in a good bra.

Check around your car late at night before entering, and immediately lock the doors once inside.

Respect the people who fight for this country, no matter what.

Actions > words.

Football is important.

Compliments should always be honest.

Chicken broth and chicken stock are pretty much interchangeable.

Kill ‘em with kindness.

There is nothing wrong with wanting a family more than a career.

There is a fine line between sexy and slutty. Don’t cross it.

Marry someone who makes you laugh and puts your needs first.

It’s perfectly acceptable to have waffles for dinner once in a while.

Unless it’s for a costume, you do not need that much black eyeliner.

Homemade is always better than store-bought.

Fresh flowers are never a waste.

Know your worth.

Patience is indeed a virtue.

Never complain about your husband.

Rinse cheesy dishes in cold water.

Pray about the little things, too.

Please and thank you never go out of style.

Don’t compare your life to others.

It’s not the obstacles that make you who you are, it’s how you react to them.

This is a very small list compared to all the things my mother has taught me. But I think the best "things" she taught me, aren't things at all. They're life lessons that stick to the essence of my being and will remain there forever.



Happy birthday Mom. Thank you for continuing to be a guiding light in my life and for sharing all your wisdom with me. I love and appreciate you more than words can ever say.

No comments:

Post a Comment